Monday, November 16, 2009

Pondok Djaja

Was feeling a bit adventurous for the weekend. I was thinking of taking the bear to Museum Bank Indonesia - the new interactive cool museum (have went there previously)
then getting some ounces of dried kiwis near Gg. Gloria.


Gg. Gloria was a bit tempting at first - but remembering that the bear doesn't eat any pork, then the idea just puffed off ritaway...


Hence, i took him to one of my parent's favorite restaurant in Hayam Wuruk - Pondok Djaja.


It was a very small - shabby restaurant, but i remember the food tastes so good. Even when I stayed in Grand Hyatt, I remember my dad came in with two packs of nasi bungkus :) *just because the hotel voucher didn't cover dinner and supper :( *
Anyway, it was good food , Great place - bad synchronization :P


Back to present days, I remember the resto was on the left side of the road. It somewhere near Dunkin Donut. Don't be fooled by the appearance of the store itself. In front - there's always luxurious cars parking. It's always full. 
Yes, this restaurant is famous among chinese (particularly those who are not so chinese anymore :P)... usually those who used to live near the Hayam wuruk area (like my mom who lived in Batu Ceper).


It was very easy to find (i guess, they have just shone up the sign.. so it's shining - make it easier to be found).



Inside, as expected , the space was almost full. We had to sit near the door. I forgot how to order Padang food as i usually hate it. Just as the old man (the owner - who has been taking care the resto for years !) spotted us, food was ordered directly to be brought - laid on our table in minutes. We didn't wait long.


Just like in any Padang restaurant - you will be served with a plate of rice - and plates of sayur (meat dishes, vegetable dishes.. name it !). One thing about the dish here - it is "lighter" than the normal Padang dishes. Not too much coconut milk - hence i am trouble free (because i hate coconut milk...) ; and not too spicy as well (moderate level). 
I think, it is more suitable as Chinese-Padangnese food. Anyway, I always like the taste.


I right away picked up 3 of my favorite dishes : shrimp with coconut milk and petai (stink bean), rendang, and tofu with green chilis. 


The shrimp was succulent. It was fresh, and sweet. Not too spicy - so the bear can eat it well :)
Tofu, well, nothing fancy about this, but it has been my favorite..
A bit dissapointed at the rendang. I was expecting a tasty - savory - rich -strong tasted rendang - but it was a bit bland.  :(
Maybe i should've taken the ayam goreng (fried chicken). It is one of my favorite menu - simple, but savory fried chicken with red chili paste (sambal merah).





Overall, it was a bit turning down. Will only come back if my parents desire it.


Some other reviews on this restaurant :from someone's multiply (cuittea) ; another multiply (heradiani) ; Jakarta Post 
*good review in overall - maybe it was just me, not being so lucky that day :( *


Oh by the way, do not expect any bills.. they counted all in the old fashioned way :P
Hence, I'm not sure how much I spent there.. maybe around 30K.


Pondok Djaja
Jl. Hayam Wuruk No. 11
Jakarta Pusat
Open Monday to Saturday 11.00–20.00, Sundays and holidays 11.00–16.00 (usually by 3pm, everything is sold out already)


0 comments:

Post a Comment